This year’s Heli Expo in sunny Orlando was a perfect get away from the frigid Arctic temperatures experienced over most of Canada. Over 18,000 attendees at the Expo provided a robust setting for a record number of 735 exhibitors including 116 first-time participants.
The Airbus Helicopters booth was buzzing with activity showcasing various customer-focused transformations, including the Pro Pilot survey results, showcasing Airbus Helicopters moving up a record breaking two spots in one year (never seen before by any OEM in the past) to take 3rd place.
Here are some of the highlights from the Airbus Helicopters presence at the show:
– The unveiling of H160, the new 6 tonne medium twin engine helicopter,
– Airbus Helicopters introduced the new “H” designation across the product line
– Introduction of’ HCare’ – newly branded and enhanced customer service offer
– Announcement of the first H125 (formerly AS350 B3e) completion in the US
Say hello to the H160
As one of the most anticipated events during Heli-Expo, the introduction of the new H160 model to the industry was a resounding success. As the first helicopter to be released under the new Airbus Helicopters identity, the H160 introduces the company’s new “H” designation across its product lines.
The H160 is raising the standards for performance, cost effectiveness, passenger comfort and environmental impact to create the medium-class rotorcraft benchmark. It is also the first-ever, fully-composite civil helicopter, resulting in an airframe that is lighter in weight, more robust, resistant to corrosion and fatigue, while requiring less maintenance.
The H 160’s distinctive styling includes:
– Sleek airframe profiling,
– All-new Biplane Stabilizer,
– Highly swept Blue Edge® main rotor blades which reduce exterior noise levels by fifty percent and also allow for a payload increase of up to 100 kg in comparison to traditional rotor blades.
– The double-canted tail incorporating the largest-ever Fenestron® shrouded tail rotor which further
– enhances anti-torque control efficiency
The H160’s highly refined look ushered in a new era of rotorcraft design and operational efficiency. In total the H160 integrates 68 different Airbus Helicopters patented technologies.
First flight of the H160 is planned later this year, followed by commercialization of the program in 2016 and targeted service entry beginning of 2018. Configurations being developed include offshore transportation, business and private aviation, public services, and commercial passenger transport.
Save the date, next Heli-Expo will take place in Louisville from February 29 to March 3 2016; we hope to see you there to celebrate another year of success!